"Le cordonier est le plus mal chaussé" would be a great analogy of me and my web presence right now.

Friday, August 27, 2004

A Good Friday

Today I got my ADSL working. At last! My ISP didn't even email me to let me know that it was set up and ready to go. I was just playing with my router and decided to test whether I could connect to the service. And it worked! That was good timing, since I'd just come back from the computer shop with a new network card for my FreeBSD box.

Unfortunately I had to leave for work, so I had to wait until now to play with my increased bandwidth. I'm now redoing the FreeBSD box. I just did a minimal install and initial configuration (15 minutes or so) and I'm now in the process of pulling down all the updated sources with cvsup. This is going MUCH faster than it used to on a dialup connection. Next step is to compile a custom kernel and rebuild the world (userspace). At the end of it I'll have an up to date, optimized, lean and mean minimal install.

I've decided to redo the FreeBSD box because I get nervous when it accumulates cruft. I've been installing so much stuff on it that I eventually used it as a desktop too. I've decided that from now on it will stick to its duties as a server and no more. I'll dual boot with Windows XP on my workstation if I want to play with FreeBSD as a desktop system.

I've also received a letter from my university today. I get nervous when I receive mail from them. A letter from uni usually means that something has gone amok or they want more money out of me. It turns out that it was a letter from the Vice-Chancellor (yeah, right, as if he would personally write to lowly me. It's probably a mass mail). I'm being invited to join the Golden Key Society (yeah, I know, it sounds pompous and all). Aparently I'm in the top 15% in my year, and am considered to be leet enough to grace the society. I wasn't sure about joining - it costs AU$93.50 to join, and I'm graduating at the end of the year anyway. But it may look good in my resumé (I get a certificate when I join). And the careers people have been chanting away to us "Networking, networking, networking" (nothing to do with TCP/IP).

I sound a tad cynical. But I realize that it's a fact that doors can open if you know the right people. So yeah, I'll probably sign up. I'll want to get a job (well, a "proper" one) as soon as I can when I graduate. Anything that helps is a plus.

10 Comments:

Blogger Jaeboy said...

Was it so difficult to get high speed in Australia?

does FreeBSD worth a look? is it stable as system?

2:49 am

 
Blogger Shane said...

No, it isn't hard to get broadband here. As long as you don't live in the bush :)

FreeBSD is definitely worth a look. Yes, it's very stable. Give it a try. Who knows, you might end up preferring it to linux as I did.

12:42 am

 
Blogger Jaeboy said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:14 am

 
Blogger Shane said...

Lol. I think they designed the site so that it could be read with a text-based browser. Unix geeks tend to like things like that. Well, the look of the OS is basically what you would have if you used linux. FreeBSD uses the same window managers and desktop environments that are available for linux. On the surface you might think that a FreeBSD workstation is actually running linux.

10:22 am

 
Blogger Jaeboy said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:26 pm

 
Blogger Jaeboy said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:27 pm

 
Blogger Jaeboy said...

urg... what happened to my posts?

Anyway, i wanted to say - is FreeBSD good for network server? I've been using Lindows/Lispire and is considering to switch over Mandrake/redhat.

10:33 pm

 
Blogger Shane said...

FreeBSD is definitely good for servers. It is a proven, mature system that is aimed at servers (as opposed to workstations). Their motto is "The power to serve". FreeBSD is consistently among the most reliable hosting providers. Netcraft shows that in July 2004, a FreeBSD box was the most reliable. In the top 10 most reliable providers, four used FreeBSD, four used Linux and two used Windows.

[Source: http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2004/08/17/most_reliable_hosting_providers_during_july.html]

FreeBSD is very popular with ISPs (so is Linux incidentally). Yahoo! is a well-known service that uses FreeBSD. One of the famous users of Linux is Google.

Being aimed at server systems, FreeBSD is harder to set up as a desktop compared to Linspire and Mandrake, which tend to be aimed at the desktop user. However, if you are comfortable with the command line and don’t mind not having a GUI for things like network settings, then FreeBSD is great as a Desktop too.

I’d venture to say that in general, hardware support (driver availability) is slightly better for Linux. However, this is a very general observation. Some stuff might not work in Linux but work in FreeBSD.

For a server system, I tend to prefer package management that is source-based. A binary-based package management like Red Hat's RPM tends to be less flexible than compiling from source. What if you need to set some compile-time options? But doing the ./configure, make, make install dance tends to be more of a chore than installing a binary. That's where a source-based package management system comes in handy. FreeBSD has both a binary and a source-based package management system. Say I want to install the latest version of PHP4 on my web server, and I want to compile PHP with CURL support. In FreeBSD, I do this:

cd /usr/ports/www/mod_php4
make install clean

That will tell the ports system to download the latest version of PHP4, then pop up a ncurses menu asking me what compile-time options I want. I can just make my choices and the application will get compiled and installed just like I need it. Dependencies are resolved on the fly. It doesn’t stop there either. I can also use the portupgrade tool to automatically upgrade all (or some) of the applications that are installed on my FreeBSD system. Doing this will make the ports system recursively download, compile, and install all the latest sources for applications that I have installed that have been updated:

portupgrade –arR

Linspire and Mandrake tend to be aimed at the desktop user. In the linux world, you'd probably want to take a look at gentoo (it is source-based). It is the linux distro that most resembles FreeBSD. In fact, gentoo's portage package management system was inspired by FreeBSD's ports system.

Here’s a review of FreeBSD if you are interested: http://www.distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=review-freebsd

Your next question is likely to be. So… which is better? FreeBSD or Linux? Well, performance-wise they are pretty similar. Use whatever you are most comfortable with.

12:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And FreeBSD manages server loads much more efficiently than NetBSD.

3:31 am

 
Blogger Jaeboy said...

This sounds convincing enough for me to run a network scale test.

4:30 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home