"Le cordonier est le plus mal chaussé" would be a great analogy of me and my web presence right now.

Monday, August 30, 2004

Telemarketing. Ugh.

I just got a phone call. It went something like this:

*Dring dring*
Me: “Hello?”
Some guy: “Hi. Mr. Sin. Please?”
Me: “Who are you after?”
The guy, heavy Indian accent: “Mr. Sin.”
Me: “Would that be Mr. Sin Fat maybe?”
The guy, sounding as if he’s reading from a script: “Yes. I. Would. Like. To. Tell. You. About. The. Fantastic. Offers. For. Cell. Phones. That. Cellplus. Has. In. Your. Region?”
Me, thinking that I could not have heard right. Cellplus? I’m in Perth, Australia. “From whom?”
The guy: “Cellplus. Are. You. Satisfied. With. Your. Current. Mobile. Phone. Plan?”
Me: “Where are you from?”
The guy: “Call. Center. In. India.”
Me: “No thanks, I’m not interested.”
The guy: “Okay.”
*Click*

What the hell? I can’t have heard right. Cellplus? I’m in Perth, Australia. With all the hype about call centers in Mauritius, maybe someday I’ll get a spam-call from our beloved island. That’d be the day! I pity the poor sods who work in the call centers, having to do telemarketing and getting abused by irate people at the other end of the line.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cellplus? If you got a call from a call centre in Mauritius, I'd understand. Okay no,i won't understand. No way they will be calling Mauritians all around the world but a call centre in India? Now that's weird.

aline

8:52 pm

 
Blogger Shane said...

I agree, I can't have heard right. There was a lot of static on the line. I probably thought I heard something like "Cellplus" because it's a familiar name.

9:41 pm

 
Blogger Jaeboy said...

LOL!! that's funny :P India is becoming world's call centres.

10:31 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home