"Le cordonier est le plus mal chaussé" would be a great analogy of me and my web presence right now.

Friday, October 29, 2004

Kernel vs. nvidia. Kernel wins.

Updated my Arch box today. pacman -Syu, new kernel and hey, what do you know, the new kernel breaks the nvidia driver. While Microsoft bends over backwards and resorts to ugly hacks to maintain compatibility, arguably at the expense of stability, the Linux community is hell-bent on writing beautiful code even if it means breaking compatibility, hence, also at the expense of stability.

Before any smarty-pants point out that I shouldn't have updated my kernel (if it ain't broke, don't fix it), let me mention the recent kernel vulnerability. So, yeah, please update your kernels if you are affected.

Some days Linux is just too much of a hassle. Since I have to do real work like right now, I'll be using Windows. It's a pity that Windows has lost the ability to wow the geek in me. Longhorn is already looking long overdue. OS X is looking like a good choice right now. Maybe my next box will be a mac.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home